Friday, January 23, 2009

Beauty & the Beast

Today the kids were watching 'Beauty & the Beast". I love that movie, but I've always wondered...

Why didn't the local townspeople ever clue in to the fact that their prince had been transformed into a {BEAST} and all the servants at the castle had been turned into magical objects?? I mean, you'd think that would be something everyone would FIND OUT about!

And what about the families of the servants? "Uh, I just got a letter from Uncle Lumiere. Seems he's been turned into a candlestick and won't be able to come visit for a while." Huh?!?!

It also cracks me up when Belle's Dad is lost in the woods and says to the horse, "Phillippe, where have you taken us?!". Uhm, HELLO! YOU were the one who chose the scary path. It was Phillippe that wanted to take the non-scary-looking path. It's kind of your own fault, old man. Don't blame the horse.

*

All this reflecting on "Beauty & the Beast" reminds me of a somewhat embarrasing tale from 7th grade. One day, in my seventh grade English class, our teacher shouted out a homework assignment as the bell was ringing and we were leaving. In my haste to gab with my friends, I heard the teacher say, "Write a poem about a scary animal. Due tomorrow."

That night, as I was washing the dishes, I remembered the assignment. I tried to get my parents to let me forgo the dishwashing to write my poem. No dice. SO, I had to write the poem in my head, and memorize it so I could write it down when I was done in the kitchen. I decided that Wolves were a scary animal to write about. Here is the fantastic poem:

Wolves are scary, and very hairy
They attack, in a pack, at humans
Wolves attacked Belle and the Beast.
They thought it would be a good feast.
The Beast threw a wolf or two.
And then they bit.
How mean can they get?!
I still think wolves need mental help.
But before they get any, you'll probably try kelp.

Yes, it is a dumb poem. And you would think the embarrassment would end there. Oh, no. It gets worse. Our assignment was to write about our favorite animal, not a scary animal. So, when it was time for all of us to read our poems out loud in front of the class, you can imagine my seventh-grade horror. I could have died of embarrassment right then. But, luckily I didn't and you were all able to hear my lovely poem.

Guess I should have paid more attention in class...
***UPDATE***
I just remembered that I left a couple lines out of my poem. After "they attack, in a pack, at humans" it should say "Other animals don't have a chance/They get so scared they run to France." I was going to say "they get so scared they pee their pants", but I didn't think it would be appropriate. So, I came up with 'France' to rhyme with 'chance', and I think that's where the Beauty & the Beast references came from. And the fact that my little sisters were watching it in the next room.

Junior High... gotta love it.

3 comments:

  1. I did it! It took me forever, but I added your other email address to my blog! sorry it took me so long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I never thought of that, but it totally makes sense. Maybe they thought the beast ATE their prince, but it still doesn't explain the servants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that is why I want to teach middle school English.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile. :D